The Daily Tea

Amateur Bloggers. Creative Writers

The Death of Nipsey Hussle: A Current Event

April3

Earlier this week, rapper Nipsey Hussle was shot and killed in broad daylight on the streets of his hometown, Crenshaw, while standing in front of his own clothing store, Marathon Clothing. I will be the first to admit that I only knew of Nipsey from social media. I don’t listen to his music and have never downloaded his records. But for some reason, Nipsey’s death has lingered in my mind since the news broke. Nipsey was a consistent figure in L.A. because part of his mission in life was to give back to the community he came from. He was actually using his money and influence to make the world a better place, and maybe that’s part of the reason I am so sad about his death. But it’s not just that. Good people die every day. 

As a woman and the mother of two daughters, my heart is really hurting for his longtime girlfriend, Lauren London. I cannot imagine being so young and hopeful about a future with a man that ends up senselessly gunned down. Her dreams of a future with Nipsey and their son were left lying in the street that day. If you have seen Lauren and Nipsey interact (check out this video) or read any of his Tweets about Lauren, you know that their love was strong. She brought him out of his shell and gave him the confidence to trust a woman completely. He gave her a sanctuary and they built a home together to raise their children in. He was her safe place–her stability–and according to her most recent Instagram post, she is now lost without him. My heart breaks for this woman. 

It’s sad when celebrities die. We let them into our homes and feel like we know them even though we don’t. And as we are mourning the death of a rapper, or a community activist, make sure we remember their families. Those that depend on them for love, support, financial stability, and all the other reasons we build relationships with people are suffering a loss far beyond our own imaginations. I hope and pray that Lauren and Nipsey’s children can find peace, and that peace comes sooner rather than later. 

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Skip to toolbar